The City is served by two wastewater treatment plants (WWTP), the Westerly WWTP and the Central WWTP. With few exceptions, all sewers east of State Route 43, including most of Aurora's Industrial and commercial areas, convey wastewater to the Central WWTP. Sanitary sewers west of State Route 43 convey wastewater to the Westerly WWTP. Central WWTP was constructed in about 1925 and was later reconstructed in 1997 due to rapid growth in the 1990s. The Central WWTP is designed for an average daily flow of 1.5 MGD and a peak flow of 3.6 MGS. The WWTP discharges to the Aurora Branch of the Chagrin River. In 1987 the Westerly WWTP was constructed to assist the overflow from the Central WWTP. The Westerly WWTP has a capacity of 1.4 MGD and a peak flow of 2.8 MGD. The discharge flows into Tinkers Creek.